Monday, June 7, 2010

Was Einstein Really a Genius? Maybe it Just Depends on Who You Ask

When I was in high school, I remember helping out a friend with a math problem. Anyone who really knows me, knows I’m terrible at math. But here I was nonetheless, helping a friend out with a math question. When she finally understood the math problem I was explaining, she jumped up, called me a genius, and gave me an enthusiastic hug. I was happy that she finally got the problem solved, but I knew inside that I was far from a real genius. But to her, I was at that particular moment in time a genius to her.

All this brings me back to beg the question. What does genius really mean anyways? It seems to me to be relative. I noticed that if you were to ask someone who didn’t know me very well whether or not they thought I was smart, they’d say, yes she’s smart , but only if the people they knew were relatively dumb. Or they might say I was dumb, but only if the people they knew were relatively smart. Now if you were to ask someone who knew me even better, they’d say I’m smart but it depends on what you’re talking about. About certain things I’m smart, but at others I’m actually quite dumb. Ask my toddler, she’ll call me a genius... or at least I hope so!!! =) Later when she becomes a teenager, soon she’ll view her mommy as being dumber than a door knob.

So if you were to take this a step further, then you could ask yourself “Was Einstein a true genius?” My answer to that is, it depends on who you ask and at what point in time in Einstein’s life did they meet Einstein?

lol.

Perhaps this is what Einstein’s theory on relativity was all about. He just chose to represent it in numbers. Perhaps you could even take this idea of relativity and try to decide who is crazy. Is crazy relative? And what do you mean exactly by crazy? Maybe this is why President Bill Clinton became famous for saying, “ Define sexual relations.” hahaha.













What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment