Saturday, June 12, 2010

Can I Sue Myself?

Can I sue myself? I thought and thought about it for a while and finally decided. Nah. I could possibly, though it'd be a waste of time because
the judge wouldn't care who'd win, plus he'd think I was crazy. However,an unfortunate side effect of suing myself is that I might be sued for suing myself, either that or fined. How? Courts hates frivolous lawsuits that waste court time and taxpayer money. So although I could sue myself, I wouldn't want to because the system would sue me for suing myself. Plus, I'd just be costing me money trying to get more money out of me.  An interesting case to watch to see if you really can sue yourself is this one

http://www.rtonmainstreet.com/2010/04/articles/resolving-disputes/pretrial-litigation/can-you-sue-yourself-well-soon-find-out/

Which brings me to another question. Original thought. A friend and I were discussing original thought and came to the conclusion that it is extremely difficult to come up with any truly new ideas that no one has ever thought of. The vast majority of the time, the idea only seems new only because the vast majority of the people have forgotten it or never learned that someone else thought of it first.  This might explain why patent attorneys are always so busy with authors of books and movies suing each other. Case in point, JK Rowlings and her Harry Potter Series.

 In effect, when someone patents or copywrites their ideas and someone sues them you might say they are suing someone else for thinking. Because that's all what books are. Thoughts and ideas written on paper.  The only time I could think of where you could write a book and have almost zero chance of being sued for copyright infringement would be if you wrote your own autobiography. Reason being because I find it difficult for someone to say that they are you and therefore say I sue you for being me! That'd be incredibly difficult to prove in a court of law. Course you could always be sued for libeling someone that you wrote about in your book. So if I wanted to write a book and not worry about being sued, I should write my own autobiography and not mention anyone else aside from myself in the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment