Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ask Stupid Questions to Save the Economy - Part I

You know, right now the world is in chaos. You have people killing people, people losing jobs, people committing suicide and taking other people down with them, husbands beating their wives, mothers killing their children, Democrats becoming Republicans, Republicans becoming hippies, etc... the list just goes


 on and on and on. It's just madness. Pure madness. People have gone absolutely crazy to the extreme. Never asking why, just doing it just because. People, dudes..... just chill. Relax. The answer to all your problems is this.


Your whole life you've been told to not ask stupid questions out of fear of looking stupid for asking. But now is the only point in time where you can actually look smart for asking stupid questions.


Here's why.


People are always asking what is the meaning of life? oooh poor me, I'm so sad. ohh nothing can be done. I'm just me. I can't do anything. boohoohoohoo. I'm so unhappy I'm just going to kill myself so I can be happy. I'm just like WHAT?!! What kind of stupid reasoning is that all about? Whenever I hear that I'm just argh. enough. I'm tired of hearing it. Who cares? Stop asking that stupid question over and over and over again! I'm sick and tired of it! What you should actually be asking is a question that will actually save yourself and save the world. And what question would that be? Any question that will put people back to work and give you a good laugh out of it. In other words, the stupider & funnier the question is the faster you can save yourself and the world.


Here's why.


In my opinion, the reason why the world is in chaos is because you have people in power who, although they may want to help people save themselves and save the world, they don't really know how. And the reason is because they don't understand economics. Not really. Not at this point in time. Because the old rules don't apply. For the longest time economists have been asking themselves is wealth infinite? finite? limitless? not limitless? And I'm just thinking to myself and looking at them and thinking. What are you crazy? How come you can't see it? It's not either or neither nor. It's both. It's all dependent on what time you are looking at the markets because the markets are always changing always flowing. You can never see what's around the river bend so don't even bother. Instead what you should be doing and asking is what does it look like the moment I step into the water? That's how you can tell how the market is doing.


You have people who follow rules without really knowing why those rules were put there in place in the first place and when that happens you got a problem. It's when people start forgetting why they do something that things really begin becoming chaotic. Which is why I think that is why the world is the way it is today. Why we have so much misery and war. It's absolutely ridiculous. And it's got to stop. My car broke down at a gas station yesterday. I had my little girl with me who was running a high fever and I was also feeling tired and sick myself. The gas station store was the only place nearby that had any air conditioning so naturally I went inside. I had already paid for my gas and was looking for some medicine for my daughter and a place to sit while we waited for my husband to come pick me up. The person at the cashier I have to admit was not particularly helpful and actually downright rude to me when I sat myself and my daughter down on the floor because there was no chairs available to sit on. Literally, the second I sat down with my daughter to read a book to her the cashier comes over and says, " Sorry, I can not let you sit there. We have a 5 minute rule that no one is allowed to stay in our gas station for longer than 5 minutes. " I looked at her in disbelief. I mean, I understood why they have that rule... most likely because gas stations are prone to being robbed all the time. But at that point in time. It just didn't make sense to apply it. I mean, I'm just a mom with a sick kid trying to get home. I paid for my gas already and was just waiting for my husband to pick me up so we could finally go home. I was not there to rob anyone. Even if I wanted to I couldn't. Can you imagine? Me? Trying to hold up a gas station while carrying my 3 year old on my hip? Yeah right! Just imagine. " Come on lady! Gimme the money!!! Hand it over! Otherwise if you don't, I'm gonna hit you over the head with my kid's Fischer price book!! You better! Cause it's not just any ordinary book. It's a pop up!"


It was just ridiculous. But yet the cashier still persisted. This time more unfriendly, " I can't let you sit there. The rules are the rules." And I responded back, " I know why the rules are there, don't worry. I'm not going to rob you." Cashier:" I can't let you sit there because if I don't, I'll lose my job." Me: " Don't worry, if your manager gives you a hard time I will explain to him the situation so you don't get in trouble." Now by this time, another customer saw what was happening & was like, this is ridiculous. He actually told the lady too to just let me and my kid sit there. I was grateful because I knew he was just trying to help us. But from the cashier's point of view he was being menacing. So by now, the cashier gets even more angry and says in a loud voice to me, " I AM THE MANAGER!" And I said, " Well, then. Don't worry. I'll talk to the owner and explain the situation." Eventually, she backed off and left me alone because unless she physically picked me and my daughter up off the floor to kick us out, we weren't going anywhere. It was really hot outside and there was no way in hell I was going to let some stupid nonsensical rule put my daughter in danger. She was already sick as it was.
And then I started thinking to myself. 


Wait a minute. If that lady really is the manager and was really telling the truth then that meant she was actually afraid of firing herself. I was like what?! If you don't want to get fired, then don't fire yourself lady. It really is just as simple as that. People are just scared of themselves. Like Oprah Winfrey said, it's just people being people. They aren't bad or good, evil or anything. They're just being themselves. That's all. And right now, they're acting pretty stupid from my point of view.  Anyways, so how does this circular logic apply to economics? 


Well, if you think back to the question, is wealth finite or infinite you realize that was the wrong question to ask. The truth is, it's neither. It's all dependent upon the time you are looking at the market and currency you are using at the time. Right now, in this point in time it's becoming more and more gold. Majority of the people don't realize this and that's because they don't understand economics and don't want to bother learning why, which is actually really good for investors because it buys us time to get more gold. The reason being is because we know that the economy is in the toilet and that unless something is done, we are all going down regardless of what class you're in. Lower, upper, middle. It doesn't matter. We are all going down and the reason for that is lack of an infrastructure in the United States. We simply don't make anything anymore. I mean think about it. 


I used to think that all American brand name cars were made in America but that's actually not true anymore. Thanks to NAFTA and other free trade agreements we got parts coming from all around the world and being put together in any place that it is cheapest to do it in. However, as bad as everything seems right now. Right now. Right this very minute I do see seeds of ideas that can make not only America but the rest of the world healthy again. There are green sprouts growing everywhere. If you don't believe me, just look. I want those seeds to keep growing. So what I'm going to do is do everything in my power to make it grow healthy and strong. Right now, ironically enough one of those places is in America. And other investors have seen that too which is why some cars are actually being put together in America. The parts might be coming from around the world, but it's actually put together by Americans. How funny is that? I was so shocked I looked it up on the Internet and found out it was true. Just look on the inside of your car door and you can find out where its parts came from and where is was made. One of those movements I'm talking about is the green movement. Anything local that produces organic, renewable high quality products, or that saves money really is the way of the future. We just gotta make sure those movements don't die. Because if they die, we theoretically die too as an economy.


It's funny, when you think about money it really does follow along the same pattern as energy. I was never good at math and science, except for biology. But strangely enough, I finally understand Einstein's theory of relativity through economics. It's funny how life just works out that way. Things always work out in the end.


You know, my husband and I actually came across an article written by some guy, what was his name? Oh I don't know but that guy was a genius. He found out about JP Morgan's Chase credit card offer where if you signed up with their credit card you get access to their concierge service. They advertise their service as essentially being your bell boy or butler I think. Not really sure. I'll have to look it up. But essentially, you can ask them for pretty much anything you want. So to test that theory, the author of the article signed up and started asking ridiculous questions to see just how far Chase would go to please their customer and from what I remember it was pretty darn far. One of the questions was something like, " I love liquid cheese. Can I get a hotel room


( I can't remember where) let's say Austin,TX on this particular day and time and fill the tub with liquid cheese?" And the concierge was like, " um... hold on. "


And apparently there is some chain of action where in order to answer the question they go through different people to answer the question and at some point someone has to pick up the phone and ask someone in a hotel in Austin if they can book a hotel room on the customer's particular day and time and fill the tub up with liquid cheese. Surprisingly enough, it worked. Some time later, the concierge service called the author back and said, " Yes. You can do that. When would you like to book?" and the author was like, " Oh, I'm okay. I was just asking to see if I could. Thanks a bunch!" Click.


And then he repeated the process where again, he asked where he could buy cans of liquid cheese in Austin on a particular day and time. And again, surprisingly enough they came back with an answer. Eventually, his questions kept getting so ridiculous that eventually they had to put in some rules but the point of the story is that it worked. Now going back to economics and how to save our asses, here's where asking stupid questions comes into play.


Every time someone picks up the phone and asks the concierge service a stupid (yet smart) question someone somewhere has to actually physically be there in America to answer the question. So let's say, you like canned tuna. Just pick up the phone, sign up with a credit card company that has a concierge service and ask. How many cans of tuna are sitting on a shelf in let's say a Walmart in Houston, TX on a particular day and time. What's going to happen is, someone has to have a job at WalMart in Houston, TX on that particular date and time to answer your question. Someone will literally and physically have to be there to pick up the phone to receive your call, then walk down the aisle, look to see how many cans of tuna they have left on that particular day and time, and then relay the message back to you. Likewise, the more people who keep asking, the more people WalMart is going to have to hire to keep answering your stupid questions. What this does is that this puts Americans back to work so that they can pay down that mortgage, pay down that debt, and pay any bills that they got piling up on their desk, assuming they still have one. With the way things are going, we really haven't much time at all.


This is just a theory, but I'm really interested in seeing if it works. The great thing about it is it's free. It won't cost the American taxpayer or government a single penny, and it just might jump start the American economy again. If it doesn't work, it's okay because it's not like you were any worse off than before. But at least you got a big laugh out of doing it. I know I will! haha.


Heh heh. Just to see if it does work, I recommend to anyone reading this to pick up your phone sign up with chase's credit card's concierge service and ask,


"How many cans of tuna are sitting on the shelves in the WalMart off of 9700 Hillcroft St. in Houston, TX today at 10am (at 10:15 am? 10:30am? and so on and so on you get the idea)"


If the concierge desk keeps its promise, it just might work. If the author's experience is any indication, I think it will.


Heh heh. If it works, heck you could even blow up this little experiment to a much wider scale and solve that problem of the oil spewing out in the gulf coast.


In Texas, we have a running joke where if you're a longhorn, you ask, " How many Aggies does it take to screw in a light bulb?" heh heh, we always like to make fun of them even though we know they're not stupid. In fact, some of the most brilliant people I know are Aggies. Anyways, yeah. So take that concept and apply it to the oil spill in the gulf coast. You could call up the concierge service and ask, "How many Americans does it take to plug up the hole in the Gulf Coast?"


Will this work or not? Who knows? But you know what? You'll never know if you don't try. And that's a problem right now. People have just stopped trying.


This might explain why a few years back, I came across an article that said the government was spending money on research programs that were trying to find out how fast ketchup flowed out of a bottle. At that time, I thought to myself. WHAT?! What a waste of money. Why are they doing that? I was mad and confused but now I know why. It was actually pure genius.


It's all about free will. When it comes down to it the question you should be asking yourself is, "Do I wanna live or die?" I pick LIVE! And I really really hope that you do too. Because that will not only save my ass, but also yours as well. But I also know that it's also all about free will. I know I can't force anyone to do anything that they don't want to. Likewise, no one can force me to do anything that I don't want to do. And right now, I don't want to. I'm tired of being sick and miserable. I want to live. So pick LIVE!!!! I WANNA LIVE! I WANNA LAUGH! And be content. Nothing more nothing less. Just content and at peace. I'm not interested in being an overachiever or underachiever. Just somewhere in the middle is fine with me. That's all. So like the song says, don't worry. Be happy. It really is as simple as that.


If you want to get better, you will get better! The power is in your hands. As it has always been. You just keep forgetting.


I'll be doing regular check ups at the Walmart to see if it works or not. I'll let you know if it does. But I need your help. Just call and ask stupid questions. Seriously.


This is Dr. Who signing off.


update: I found the original article
http://gizmodo.com/5542437/how-to-make-your-credit-card-obey-your-every-desire

No comments:

Post a Comment